Skip to main content

Proofreading Checklist (Staple to the front of your essay.)


Copy and paste the following into a Word document. Staple to the front of your essay.

Your Name: ______________________________________

Proofreading Checklist for Essay

I have checked my essay for the following (Please initial at the end of each bulleted item.):

  • The heading is in the proper MLA format; there is no extra space.
  • The header is in the top right corner. The header is in the correct font and size.
  • The introductory paragraph has a clear, specific, focused thesis.
  • The titles of the works I am discussing are written out in full with proper punctuation (upper-/lowercase), and within quotes as appropriate.
  • I do not begin paragraphs with quotes.
  • I do not state the obvious.
  • The margins all around are one inch.
  • I am not vague in my wording.
  • There are no typos or misspellings.
  • I have spelled the authors' names correctly.
  • Commas are inside quotation marks.
  • I have elaborated enough on the points I am making.
  • My quotes are short (words and phrases; at most, one sentence).
  • I have not written summary. I have analyzed (how and why effective).
  • I have included parenthetical citations—the number of the page only.
  • The period comes after the last parenthesis.
  • I am not too wordy or chatty.
  • I do not use slang.
  • The quotes I include are understandable.
  • The title of the essay is not a larger font or boldface or underlined.
  • The entire essay is double-spaced with no extra space anywhere.
  • I have used the literary present tense throughout.
  • When I shorten the titles of texts within the essay, I do not include ellipses points.
  • There are no run-on sentences or fragments.
  • The essay meets the page requirement.
  • I do NOT include too many quotes. Most of the essay is my commentary/ideas/elaboration.
  • I have proofread the entire essay several times.
  • I have made sure that I have not forgotten to include spaces when appropriate. For example, between the end of a quotation and the parenthetical citation.
  • I have stuck to my thesis throughout. I have not digressed.
  • I have reread the essay to make certain that all sentences are clear and not confusing.
  • Someone else has assisted me by proofreading my essay for mistakes.
  • My introductory paragraph is about five sentences.
  • My body paragraphs are about seven sentences.
  • If a Works Cited page is required, I have checked all formatting.      

Popular posts from this blog

Analysis of "How It Feels to Be Colored Me" by Zora Neale Hurston

Zora Neale Hurston, an important voice of the Harlem Renaissance, was an American folklorist, anthropologist, and novelist best known for her work, Their Eyes Were Watching God.   Sadly, she died in 1960 after suffering financial and medical difficulties.  In 1973, Alice Walker, another famous American writer, "rediscovered" Hurston and promoted her body of work.  In the classic essay, "How It Feels to Be Colored Me," Hurston explores the idea that all of us have multiple selves, depending upon the context and environments in which we find ourselves.  Hurston's writing has an ebullience, self-assertiveness, and pride that is particularly evident in this text.  She was a flamboyant and dramatic personality, at times clashing with fellow writers from the Harlem Renaissance, who believed that black Americans should use their art to speak out against racial oppression and the white majority. Hurston chose not to align herself with the political ideologies of ot...

All Classes--Analysis Activity for Texts. (Only do when assigned)

You will complete the following tasks.

Online Tutoring for the FAST or Anything Else Related to English (For example, the Digital PSAT/SAT)

ATC Students and Students from Any Other Secondary School or College: To help students prepare for the first "progress monitoring" session of the FAST, I will be tutoring during the summer months. Every Sunday, send your request for a time and day during the upcoming week in which you tell me when you would like to meet. I will do my best to meet your needs and then send you a link to an online Tutoring session. The first progress-monitoring part of the FAST will take place on September 17. 2024. Retakes will be given on September 24, 2024.