Tuesday, April 7, 2020

ENC1101 and ENC1102: Just Checking In

Hi Scholars,


Just checking in. I hope you and your loved ones are doing well. I know this is a very stressful time for all of you. I am sorry you have to experience this crisis during your final years in high school. I promise you things will get better. You are all in my thoughts.

So proud of each and every one of you. Keep working hard. Heads-up--I will definitely be asking for another assignment or more, so do not procrastinate on my weekly postings. The announcement may come at 4:00 p.m. to upload work by 11:59 p.m. If you are checking my website each morning and doing the posted work, this should not be a problem. I would randomly select assignments, so do them all! I want you to succeed.

ENC1101: Keep up with MyLabsPlus. Make sure you finish by the deadline posted on that website. MyLabsPlus is an important grade.

When this course ends at the very beginning of May, we will transition into a "Study Hall." I will post weekly assignments until the end of the year. The "Study Hall" assignments will not be mandatory. Anything I post will help you retain what you have learned, as well as introduce you to new ideas. You will have to continue signing into SSO every day and clicking on my "Study Hall" class for attendance purposes. Even at that point, you should keep reading my website twice a day until the end of the year, as well as reading anything posted on Canvas.

Of course, the above paragraph is premature, but I like to let you know what to expect. The ENC courses do not end until the beginning of May. Again, do ALL work. You don't want to be surprised. And, of course, your work should be original with you.

I will post grades on the Research Papers in a few weeks. I will also post a Final Grade at the end of the semester.

It is important that you take time to relax as well. Avoid watching too much news. Remember what I have taught you about sensationalism in the media. I am not suggesting this isn't a very serious problem; it is. But the crisis, like all crises in American history will eventually come to an end, and watching endless coverage on the news adds to your anxiety. Heed the advice of the scientists and the doctors. If we all do the right thing, we all will overcome this obstacle. I am confident that each of you is a smart, responsible citizen. I saw genius in you every day in my classroom. Thank you for the privilege of having you as students. Keep looking up and forward. The sun always rises.

Best,

Mr. Mulhern