Thursday, August 17, 2023

English III Announcement--Digital SAT Preparation begins February 20, 2024.

 PREPARE FOR THE NEW DIGITAL SAT (MARCH 6)


Dear Scholars,

Beginning February 20, we will start preparing for the new Digital SAT, which differs greatly from the previous SAT.

I will be giving you pointers about the specifics of the test--how to answer particular questions, strategies, notes on grammar, how to eliminate wrong answers, the format of the test, the types of questions, how to answer the different question types, the probable number of different question types, which questions are considered easy, medium, and hard (most of the questions are medium in difficulty), timing, how to determine a distractor answer. (There are usually two answers that could be correct, but one of those two is better. I will explain why. The distractor answer is not the best answer.) You will be taking practice tests, which I will go over and explain the reasoning for the correct answers.

You can begin studying by writing down Mulhern's Mantras (see post on this website), which I will review in class. You should also check out the SAT Module on Canvas and look at those resources. In particular, answer what you think are the correct responses for the Writing Rules. I will review the correct answers in class and explain why they are correct and why the other answer choices are incorrect. Take notes!

The SAT is one of the most important things to prepare for in order to get into the college of your choice, followed by the career you want to pursue.

Many days will be "boring," but the information I give you is essential. If you want to do well, listen to my advice. As I told you many times, I worked for the College Board for several years. I know these tests very well. I understand how they are constructed.

This is one of the most important learning modules (SAT preparation) of all the learning we do in this class. I want you to succeed. The learning, listening, and note taking is up to you.

Many things are difficult and/or boring in life, but these things may be essential for your successful future. I can teach, but you must be responsible for practice, good note-taking, and learning. The future is in YOUR hands.

Try to be present in class. If you are absent, ask a peer to copy their notes. Ask a peer if any handouts were distributed and then approach me for them. Avoid field trips. We only have a short amount of time, and I am sure there will be interruptions to the teaching and learning process.

Unfortunately, we will have to skip discussing some readings you did on your own. My priority, as yours should be, is preparing for the new Digital SAT.

Please note that the format of the new Digital SAT differs from the previous SAT, but all of the information I posted reinforces the SKILLS you must develop. Knowing the SKILLS is most important.